This list of various websites that are boring but useful was culled from the comments of a recent post on Go Fug Yourself. To read all the comments and suggestions, here’s the link: Your Most Boringly Useful Websites
If you don’t know Go Fug Yourself and you like smart writing about dumb fashion, I highly recommend you check it out: http://www.gofugyourself.com
Please note all the sites below have not been vetted by me, so do your due diligence.
1. A View from My Seat, aviewfrommyseat.com
“You can search for venues all around the country and browse through photos people have posted from various seats/sections in that venue so you can see what you’re getting. I used this site to make sure that the ‘cheap’ seats for Hamilton were worth the kajillion dollars I spent (they were).”
2. Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab, https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/
Amazing (and free!) resource for all your pesky grammar, formatting, and citation needs.
3. Citation Machine, http://www.citationmachine.net/
Will generate citations in your preferred format (MLA, APA, Chicago…) for you. You just fill out a form with basic info of the source.
4. Acronym Finder, acronymfinder.com
“As a writer/editor who works in IT, this is my go-to site when I come across an acronym that I can’t remember.”
5. Percentage Calculator, https://percentagecalculator.net/
6. Metric Conversions, http://www.metric-conversions.org/
7. Manuals Online, www.manualsonline.com
8. Just Watch, www.justwatch.com, and Can I Stream It, www.canistream.it
Think of something you want to watch and find out where in the streaming/cable universe it can be found.
9. Down for Everyone, http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com or isup.me
Is that website down for everyone, or just for me?
10. This to That, thistothat.com
If you want to glue something to something else it tells you what glue works best.
11. Small PDF, smallpdf.com
“It just automatically compress pdf to the smallest file possible, great for sending email attachments!”
12. Still Tasty, stilltasty.com
“Tells you how long something will keep in your fridge or freezer before it goes bad and kills you/tastes terrible.”
13. Time and Date, timeanddate.com.
“As much as I travel, I still don’t know which state has which time zone, do they observe Daylight Saving Time, etc. When I was a paralegal, I used it to calculate due dates for pleadings.”
14. Print Friendly, printfriendly.com
Makes any webpage printer-friendly.
15. Forvo, forvo.com
“As I am obsessed with languages, one of my favourite websites is forvo.com, where people upload files of themselves pronouncing names, phrases, nouns etc., in their native language.”