If you are a Mac user, have you ever received an email attachment called “winmail.dat”?
I’m not talking about spam; I mean an attachment you were expecting, from someone you know.
If you receive a winmail.dat file, which you can’t open on the Mac, here’s what to do:
- Download the free application TNEF’s Enough and install it into your Applications folder.
- Run the TNEF’s Enough application by double-clicking on it.
- Drag the email attachment out of the email and drop it on top of the TNEF’s Enough icon in the dock.
- Doubleclick the file in the bottom half of the window that appears.
- The program will ask you where you want to save the new file; choose the Desktop or wherever is convenient.
- Go to that location and open your file!
The winmail.dat problem has to do with the sender’s email settings; often the sender is using Outlook for Windows and his/her email is hosted with Exchange.
Image by Steven Taschuk from Flickr Creative Commons.