Here are 5 easy tricks to try on your iPhone that can make it faster and easier to perform activities you do regularly. These will work on many generations of iPhone, not just the 4S.
1. If your iPhone is behaving strangely, press and hold the top and home buttons simultaneously. Keep holding until you see the apple appear, and then let go. This reboots the phone.
2. Take a screenshot of your iPhone screen by clicking the top and home buttons simultaneously and then releasing them. The screenshot will then be the last item in your Camera Roll, in the Photos app.
3. Quickly get to the Camera app, even if your phone is locked, by double-tapping the home button. Next to the “slide to unlock” at the bottom, you’ll see a camera button, which takes you straight to the camera. I missed a lot of great photo opps before discovering this.
4. When you are on the home screen, quickly open a recent app by double-clicking the home button. Your recent apps will appear at the bottom. Swipe left to see more recent apps.
5. Also when you’re on the home screen, quickly change audio controls like play/pause and skip to next track by double-clicking the home button and then swiping right. You can also lock the orientation of the device here. Swipe right again to control the volume.
10 MacWorld RapidFire Tips for Mac, iPhone, and iPad