By now we all know it’s important to move around during the workday, not just sit in the same spot for hours at a time.
I’ve been using the free Time Out software on my Mac for years. I can set it to ask me to take a break after X minutes, and I can set the break itself to X minutes. It’s been very useful and I recommend it. However I’ve used the software for so long that I’m now habitually clicking the “Skip Break” button regularly.
Note that there are lots of apps named Stand Up in the iOS App Store; look for the one with the white arrow on the yellow background, made by a company called Raised Square. (Or use my link above.)
Now that I’ve been using it for a few days, here’s why I like it (and a few things I think could be improved).
- Very easy to use.
- Lets you change the color, if you’re not into super bright yellow.
- You can set the hours and the days you want alerts. So mine is set for Mon-Fri only, from 9 to 6 only.
- You can set it to only alert you when you’re at one location. So it won’t bother you when you’re at a movie, at a restaurant, anywhere other than the location you’ve designated.
- The regular alert sound is fine; if you want other alerts you can pay $1 in-app.
- It doesn’t force you to take a break, it just reminds you to do so. And if you say you can’t take a break at that minute, it doesn’t re-remind you a few minutes later.
- It does have “don’t bug me for X minutes” buttons, but the only options are 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or 90 minutes. I wish I could set this for some other options.
- I wish I could set 2 locations — my work and my home — since I work in both places. Right now I have to update the app when I move between the two.
I like the simplicity of Stand Up! — it does one thing very well. I can see them adding some more features and functionality while still keeping it easy to use.